i'm so blessed with this brother..

i'm so blessed with this brother..

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Shame

I had the blessing of getting to know one of my fellow classmates today whom I haven't talked to at all after being in his class for a whole year. He shared with me that he's from Iraq and is a Muslim. We talked about our religion exam then starting comparing beliefs. Probably had the most interesting conversation I've ever had with anyone at St.Marys. We explained each other's beliefs and morals in complete understanding and I grew in my appreciation for all the beautiful people in my life who are Islamic.
So many people have fallen victim to media propaganda towards this Islamic community. I know from living in the mountains which has the largest concentration of Caucasians in the whole of NSW, some people are pretty racists with their only evidence coming from what they've seen on Today Tonight. My friend who I talked to today agreed with me and doesn't blame those who are racist as it is largely the media.
He told me this story of when he was 7years old he was shopping with his mother who was wearing traditional Hijab. They were approached by an Aussie man in the supermarket who questioned her why she was wearing her traditional dress in Australia and that it 'wasn't our culture'. She ignored him and walked away to which he followed then stating 'Have you gotta bomb under there'? 'Ya gunna bomb this supermarket are ya?'. 
At 7years my friend had to defend his own mother against a racists Australian who couldn't handle the fact that it is within their belief that they cover up to remain in purity, which is stated in the Qur'an, and to honour her husband in only letting him see her body. 


I felt sick. 


For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”





No comments:

Post a Comment